Featuring

The Grey Isle Tale - now available!

Thursday, December 17, 2015

For What It's Worth...

What Writing the End of Rienspel Was Like 

and How It Changed Me

 



After reading a delightful post from one of my favorite living authors, Christopher Paolini, I was inspired to write... so here we go! (you can read his article HERE)

What was writing the end of Rienspel like?

I actually got really serious about making headway with Rienspel at about the the 6th or 7th year out of the 8 total it took to finish writing it. I was in a terrible place then. I was out of work for the first time in my life and was quite literally living on others' mercy and the answers of bitter, desperate prayers. I would get up in the morning - finally - make some coffee (if we had any that week), pull out a laptop and write. It was my job - the only job I had.

As I've written, who I really write for are the heartbroken - the dispossessed - and down-and-out. Real people who I know - not some pie-in-the-sky feel good sentiment. Hard times at their best can melt and carve our arrogance, but I never imagined I'd be one of the people I write for. There, at the end of Rienspel, I was who I wrote for.

For awhile, I had known what the ending would generally be like for my first book (and no, I'm not giving the conclusion away, either! Rienspel will be out by no later than Fall 2016!!). But by having something meaningful to do - where I could see daily progress which I did by my own hand and will - helped make me a better person. I feel like just about every other job I've ever had quails in comparison to the strength unveiled and developed within myself from the final few delirious keystrokes of Rienspel.

I know... I realize... I understand I am, in the mad grand scheme of things, just one more random shmoe cranking out books... but one of the engines which hurtles me forward was forged during those last few summer months of 2014. I really do hope you enjoy Rienspel, for what it's worth, when it finally releases.

When you find out what you love to do - what you can do and ought to do... what you know you must do and can't help but do - do it. Do it with all your heart, and all your soul, and all your mind, and all your strength (even if you're weak). For when your heart is broken, perhaps it's because you've broken it over Principle; when your soul is sick, perhaps it is because you Hope; when your mind is fogged, perhaps it is because you Care; and when your strength is gone perhaps it is because you have have learned the power of weakness found in Humility.

Write on, fellow adventurers... write on...

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment